Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Trekkie Of Sorts


This is the Beckley sky at sunset, beautiful. The weather here amazes me, I love how the sun always shines when it rains.

Well today I finished a paper for my pastoral ministries class, it isn’t due until next Thursday which makes this the soonest I’ve finished any of my papers before a deadline. I plan on making this a habit since procrastination is bad for my beauty rest. Anyway, I had to write it on “Taking Back the Good Book” a book by Woodrow Kroll on Bible illiteracy in America. I was amazed when the school year started three weeks ago that we had to read an entire book right away. It doesn’t seem that big of a deal now that I’ve completed it. But you can imagine my reaction when I got a syllabus which prescribed reading one full book and writing three research papers in the first month. I really enjoyed the reading so it was no trouble to fly through it. Also it is for my favorite class, an added bonus. Foundations of pastoral ministries is my favorite class because it has my favorite teacher, Dr. Carfrey. He’s a stout man in his early sixties. I don’t think I’m the only one in the class that admires him this much. Dr. Carfrey is exceptionally knowledgeable and very able to preach. For example, last week someone started a discussion at the beginning of class about the charismatic movement. He pushed back the regular lesson for forty minutes while he pumped out a full sermon to us, never losing his place, stopping to think or lacking words. I admire a man who knows the Bible well enough that he can preach a sermon at a moments notice. I sat there taking in all I could and probably drooling all I could at the same time. Sometimes I feel like my pastors class is the Christian equivalent of a bunch of trekkies. We find preaching fascinating and talk about it any chance we get, we even have pastors jokes. If you’re wondering what a pastor’s joke sounds like, don’t, they are just odd. I appreciate Dr. Carfrey and having the opportunity to learn from him.

Katie’s parents are coming on Monday. We are looking forward to seeing some of our family. We miss everyone a lot but traveling is practically impossible with gas prices being so high and my amount of school work. Hopefully we can make the trip all the way up to Maryland within the next few months.

3 comments:

  1. Katie, Your parents are bringing a basket of books for you. A lady in Linville gave me a bunch, I dont know what you do/dont want, so whatever you dont want, just pass along. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh...that class sounds so fun and profitable (spiritually)! I wish I could take it too! I am learning that people should take in all the good Bible preaching and studying they can before they have children. When you are keeping up with an infant or small child, it is much harder to glean the same amount from a message as when your whole mind is devoted to it.

    Congratulations on getting the paper finished ahead of schedule. Very good practice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt:
    I am impressed. You got the paper done already. Great job! No procrastination there. Look forward to seeing you soon.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete